In this article, we are going to learn to Build an Affiliate Marketing Website. Affiliate marketing is one of the best and easiest ways of starting an online business in India. If you are familiar with the concept of affiliate marketing you know that it’s true. But don’t confuse affiliate marketing with ‘overnight making you rich schemes’. It is a very legal and proven way to earn money online along with your job or offline business.
This business model works because it is result-oriented. And it works for marketers because it totally depends on their efforts. So, the more you put in efforts in this business, the more you earn from it. Plus, you need to put these efforts once and you can have a passive income stream with time.
If you think you can excel in the affiliate marketing field and ready to become an affiliate, let’s talk business. Now, that you know how affiliate marketing works, how to choose a profitable niche and find the right affiliate program to join, it’s time to learn to build a website where you can share your affiliate link and grow your business.
We, will, get to know
- 1 What is an Affiliate Website?
- 2 Types of Affiliate Websites
- 3 How to Build an Affiliate Website?
- 4 Summary
- 5 FAQs
- 6 Can I be an affiliate without a website?
- 7 Do I need a website to be an Amazon affiliate?
- 8 How do I create an affiliate website for free?
What is an Affiliate Website?
An affiliate website is used for affiliate marketing to share reviews and information around products of an affiliate program by a vendor. These products can be both, physical and digital in nature.
Affiliate websites are just used for promotion of products and services, don’t confuse an affiliate website with an e-commerce website. In e-commerce websites, the buying process is completed within the website, where an affiliate website only contains links to the merchant’s website.
When a customer clicks the affiliate links, he/she is redirected to the merchant’s site to complete the purchase. However, some affiliate programs allow affiliates to create custom offers to their audience. These offers can be showcased on an affiliate website.
Types of Affiliate Websites
There are different types of affiliate websites depending on the niche you have chosen for your affiliate marketing business. Some of them are:
- Blog/vlog website
- Review website
- Coupon website
- Product search websites (when your niche has a wide range of products)
- Comparison website
How to Build an Affiliate Website?
Building a website used to be a very tardy task, but with technological advancement, a non-coding-skilled person can build a website in no time. Before starting to build an affiliate website, go to successful affiliate marketing websites and get an idea of what kind of website will be suitable for your niche in affiliate marketing. For that you can take screenshots or just note the features you would want on your website. When building a website, always keep your users in mind. And try to build an Affiliate Marketing Website that your users will like to explore and engage with.
Book a domain name
A successful website begins with a perfect domain name. If you have finalized a niche for your affiliate marketing business, choosing a domain won’t be too difficult. Keep following things in mind while booking a domain name:
- Your domain name should reflect your affiliate marketing niche.
- The ideal size of a domain name is between 8 to 13 letters, but it actually doesn’t matter in SEO these days.
- Your domain name should be clear, concise, easy to remember, and easy to pronounce.
For example, if your niche is about Fitness wear then a domain name like yourprettyfit.com or fitnesswear.com can be a domain name. If you want to sell something that is personal to you, you can always choose a domain name that reflects your personality as well. Such as yogagirl.com or greenpeople.com etc.
You can book domain from online services providers such a GoDaddy, HostGator or Name Cheap.
Get a hosting plan
Once you have booked a domain name and are ready to build an Affiliate Marketing website, the next thing you will need to do is get a hosting plan. There are many hosting providers out there and there are many coming in the market every day. Before you choose a hosting a plan make sure of a few things first:
- It fits your budget
- Meets your requirements
- Check if the service provider is reliable
- Check if the hosting is speedy for your website
In the market, there are many big names like BlueHost, Hostgator and Siteground. Check out their plans and services to see if that fits your budget and requirements.
Build the website with WordPress
Building a website is pretty easy even if you know nothing about coding. WordPress has a CMS that is built keeping a person who has no knowledge of coding whatsoever. So it makes building a website a very easily understandable process. It provides you with many free themes you can use to build an Affiliate Marketing website.
To start building a website with WordPress follow these steps:
- Go to wordpress.com and click ‘Start your website’.
- Register yourself with an email address and create an account with WordPress.
- In the next step, choose ‘ Blog’ and choose your topic in the next window.
- When the next video opens, you will see a preview of your blog site. Add a name for your blog there.
- Next, step add your domain name.
- Now, choose a plan which fits your needs and complete the check-out process.
- Once you complete the checkout process you can customize your website theme, add new pages and start writing your very first post.
Start creating content for a website
Now, that you have successfully set-up your website with WordPress, it’s time to start creating content, which will drive relevant traffic to your website. The major kinds of content that you can create for your affiliate marketing website are:
- Blog posts
- Pieces of information and new ideas
- Stories and experiences
You can share almost anything on your affiliate website which you believe can help your audience in some ways. Affiliate marketing is all about helping people in making the right decision around products and services. The personal brand image of the affiliate matters in the growth of the business. If people trust you they will buy from you. And people will trust you if you are being absolutely honest with them.
Once, you reach a significant amount of traffic on your website, you can start sharing your affiliate link in blog posts. But, before you share an affiliate link on your website there are some things you need to know:
- Affiliate Link Disclosure: It is a mandatory process from FTC, which requires you to disclose any kind of links you used that results in any kind of commission to your site visitors. Be proactive about the disclosure of the link in your blog posts and be clear in language.
- Affiliate Link Tracking: Before sharing links, check if the link tracking system is working properly. Check if you are getting proper and real-time updates on your link performance.
- Link Cloaking: Affiliate links are often long and messy because of lots of technical aspects to it. To make these links short and clear, affiliates use link cloaking like Pretty Links.
Link Attributes: Google recommends to use attribute rel=”nofollow” for paid affiliate links and free product reviews.
Work on Search Engine Optimization
The most important part of affiliate website building is ‘search engine optimization’. So, the selection of niche and joining the right program contribute will only work if your website is visible to the audiences on search engines. SEO is a part of the digital marketing process.
There are two types of SEO:
- On-page SEO: In on-page SEO practice you actually perform tasks on your website which help you rank higher on search engines like- page speed optimization, keyword density, URL slugs, content creation, and content schema.
- Off-page SEO: In off-page SEO practices the efforts are put outside your website to increase the reliability of your domain. These practices are backlinking to high authority websites, guest posting, social bookmarking, profiling and directory submissions.
Engage with your audience
The most thrilling and exciting part of affiliate marketing for me is the chance to engage with my audience. Because the success of any affiliate marketing business completely depends on how engaged you are with your niche audience.
There are many platforms you can engage with your audience with many forms of content and interactions. You can share your social life with your audience on social media platforms like Twitter and Instagram, you can answer your audience’s question on Quora and Vokal. You can also make TikTok videos to showcase your niche products to them, especially if your product is visually appealing like fashion products.
In these above steps, I think I made it very clear that building a website isn’t very hard. But you should always focus on what your user’s requirements are. Because if your website isn’t user-friendly, you will have hard luck in growing your affiliate marketing business. Also, be very clear about your message to your audience. Let them feel that you are being completely honest with them.
- An affiliate website is where an affiliate shares his/her affiliate links, which then redirects the visitors to the merchant’s site to make the purchase.
- There are different types of affiliate websites depending on the niche, like, blogging sites, coupon sites, comparison sites and review sites.
- To build an affiliate website follow these steps:
- Book a domain name related to your niche, which is clear, easy to pronounce and remember.
- Get a hosting plan to host your website on the world wide web, from service providers like Blue Host, HostGator or SiteGround.
- Use WordPress to build a website with free themes and very easy to use Content Management System (CMS).
- Create the content on your which helps to solve the problems that your audience is facing like how-to-guide, DIYs, reviews of products under your niche and information related to your niche.
- Share your affiliate links on your website, but remember to follow the Affiliate Link disclosure process mandatory from FTC.
- Focus on on-page and off-page SEO(Search Engine Optimization) your website.
- Last but not the least, engage with your audience using different social media platforms like Twitter, Instagram, Quora, and Vokal.
Can I be an affiliate without a website?
Yes, sure. You can be an affiliate without a website. In fact, many affiliates start affiliate marketing from sharing their affiliate links of social media pages. But some affiliate programs don’t allow social sharing. So read all the terms related to affiliate marketing before joining any program.
Do I need a website to be an Amazon affiliate?
You don’t “need” a website to be an Amazon affiliate. But having a website will surely boost your sales, because you will be more visible to people online with your website.
How do I create an affiliate website for free?
To create an affiliate website for free you can book a domain and host that website on Blogger. Here you can share your reviews about products and affiliate links. But you will find it difficult to rank higher on search engines.